St. Louis Makes Top 10 List for New Grads
St. Louis ranks among the top 10 cities for fresh college grads because of its low cost of living, plentiful jobs and concentration of 20-somethings, according to SmartAsset, a financial website.
The news is not surprising to Kim Reitter, Ed.D., SLU’s director of career services, who said St. Louis is the top city where new SLU graduates get jobs.
“St. Louis has a lower cost of living when compared to a lot of cities in the country, so young professionals can more easily afford a house,” she said. “Plus there are a lot of job opportunities in the St. Louis area with large and small organizations in many different fields.”
What St. Louis Offers New Grads
Compared to 107 other cities surveyed, SmartAsset says St. Louis has:
- 9th lowest rent at an average $618 a month
- 16th highest number of jobs
- 17.8 % of population in their 20s
- 26th highest concentration of restaurants
SmartAsset created its best cities for new grads list based on jobs, affordability and fun.
SLU Alumni in St. Louis
More than 51,000 SLU alumni live in St. Louis and can be found working locally for Bayer, Centene Corp., ExpressScripts Holding Co., Mastercard Inc., Nestle Purina, World Wide Technology and more.
This spring, SLU announced an expansion of its career services for current students and alumni, which aims to:
- Improve career planning, preparation and employment
- Better coordinate and enhance internships and other career-oriented experiential learning programs
- Grow and enhance University relations with community organizations and industry
- Bring greater campus and community visibility to the value of SLU’s distinctive academic programs
- Help to better ensure the success of our students and alumni