The purpose of this option is to offer qualified SLU undergraduate dietetic and DPD
students the opportunity to apply for admission into the SLU dietetic internship/master’s
program during their senior year and be granted direct admission into the program
upon final acceptance and successful completion of the Bachelor of Science and DPD
Students will commit to taking part in the SLU dietetic internship the year following
undergraduate completion and bypass the computer-matching application and selection
dietetic internship selection process.
Criteria for current SLU students:
Students currently enrolled at Saint Louis University who meet the following criteria
are eligible to apply for the pre-select admission option during their senior year
and/or after completion of “Advanced Nutrition” (DIET 3850):
- A minimum of a 3.5 cumulative grade point average (GPA)*
- A minimum of a 3.4 GPA in the core Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD)**
- A grade of C or better in DPD coursework
- Completion of the core upper division nutrition courses (DIET 4100 and DIET 4150 Medical
Nutrition Therapy I, II) at Saint Louis University
Students who have transferred into SLU’s Department of Nutrition and Dietetics are
eligible to apply for the pre-select admission option after completing a minimum of
two full-time semesters at Saint Louis University, in addition to meeting the other
criteria listed above.
*Undergraduate and graduate coursework will be considered in the cumulative GPA.
**DPD GPA will be calculated using the courses outlined on the Pre-select Admission
- Attend the pre-select interest meeting in the fall to review the admission requirements
and discuss the application process.
- Complete the Saint Louis University Pre-select Admission Form during the fall semester of your senior year, and no later than Jan. 10 for preadmission
for the following year. Forms are available from the pre-select adviser.
- Complete the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Supervised Practice Application Form during the fall semester of your senior year, and no later than Jan. 10. Forms are
available from the pre-select adviser (Katie Eliot) and on the DIET 3890 Blackboard
- Three letters of recommendation using the standard Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Waiver and Recommendation Form are required from SLU faculty and/or other professionals who can attest to your academic
and/or professional attributes and support your application for the pre-select program.
Please submit each reference letter in a sealed envelope with the signature of the
person submitting reference on the envelope closure as part of the application packet.
- Letter of Application(s)/personal statement(s) including professional interests, goals, personal attributes, etc. that support(s)
your candidacy for the SLU dietetic internship and aptitude for a the specific track(s)
should be included. A separate letter of application is required for each concentration.
This letter should indicate to which track(s) you are applying. You may apply to all
concentrations and prioritize your choices on the pre-select admission form.
- Statement of intent to complete a DPD must be included in the pre-select application and a verification statement of DPD
completion must be submitted by Aug. 1 of the internship year.
- A résumé listing prior work experience, honors, awards and other relevant data should be included
in the pre-select application packet.
- The completed application packet must be submitted to the dietetic internship director
no later than Jan. 10 for pre-admission into the dietetic internship class for the
- Completed applications packets can be hand-delivered to the Department of Nutrition
and Dietetics or mailed (postmarked deadline Jan. 10) to:
Internship Selection Committee
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics
Doisy College of Health Sciences
Saint Louis University
3437 Caroline Street, Room 3076
St. Louis, MO 63104-1111
Applicants will receive written notification of acceptance or rejection into the dietetic
internship program no later than Jan. 15 prior to the scheduled program year. Failure
to complete academic and graduation requirements will compromise internship admission.
Students notified of acceptance who decide to participate in computer matching, pursue
other educational/career options or postpone the internship should do so by Jan. 15
before the scheduled internship year, with written notification to the dietetic internship
director and, if applicable, should notify D&D Digital to participate in computer matching.
The applications to the dietetic internship and graduate program are separate processes.
The application for the graduate program should be initiated after the applicant has
been accepted into the internship. There is a $40 graduate program application fee.
The graduate application should be submitted online. Learn more about SLU’s Master of Science in nutrition and dietetics.